Winter Visitors: My Bird-Friendly Garden

As the crisp air of autumn sets in and the first signs of winter approach, I always feel the pull to prepare my garden for the seasonal visitors I've come to cherish. For several years now, I've been creating a welcoming space for birds by setting up feeders and offering food to help them through the colder months. This simple act of kindness has transformed my garden into a hub of activity, with different species of birds coming and going throughout the winter.

Every year, I place food in numerous bird feeders scattered around the garden. I fill them with a variety of seeds, and I always make sure to include black sunflower seeds- birds seem to especially love these. I also hang suet balls for smaller birds like sparrows and finches, which are quick to find their way to the suet when the weather turns chilly. The sound of birdsong in the early morning, along with the flutter of wings as they quickly drop down to grab a bite, is one of the highlights of my day.

The diversity of birds that visit is always a joy to witness. From the charming Coal Tits to the more robust Great Tits, and even the occasional Blue Jay, there’s never a shortage of subjects to photograph. These beautiful creatures provide endless opportunities to capture their beauty.

As a passionate photographer, I use my Olympus M.Zuiko 75-300mm telephoto lens to shoot these feathered friends. This lens allows me to photograph the birds in their natural state, without disturbing them. Its impressive zoom range and sharpness help me document every detail, from the tiniest feathers to the most intricate movements.

Many years ago, my grandfather carefully crafted a bird feeder and added a weatherproof roof to it. I still use that same one today, and it has become a cherished part of my garden. The birds love it, and it’s always heartwarming to see them gather around it.

I have a funny story about the time when a pigeon flew into the feeder, but it turned out to be a bit too big for the space. The poor bird got stuck and ended up tipping over onto its side- almost like it was pretending to fall! But that didn’t stop it  every time it came back, it’d use the same technique to get out, then fly off like nothing had happened. It always makes me smile when I think about that pigeon and how determined it was! :)

There’s something so peaceful about sitting quietly in the garden, watching the birds interact with the feeders, each species displaying unique behaviors and personalities. It’s a privilege to witness and photograph these small moments of beauty.

Popular posts from this blog

From Gellért Hill to Bartók Béla Avenue: A Perfect November Walk

Urban Curves and Lines: The Samyang Fisheye in Action