A Day Off in Budapest: Exploring Christmas Markets and Hidden Photographic Gems
It was a spontaneous decision, but I took the day off and headed into the city to experience the Christmas market firsthand. I'm glad I chose a weekday for this, as it allowed me to avoid the large crowds and navigate the area with ease. I approached Vörösmarty Square from Dorottya Street, pausing for a moment to photograph the beautifully decorated Madame Tussauds building.
From the Vörösmarty Square Christmas market, my path took me through Erzsébet Square and toward St. Stephen's Basilica. Along the way, I couldn’t miss the giant Lindt bear standing in the middle of Fashion Street. I took a moment to capture the festive scene. The streets were wonderfully lit, and the Christmas decorations created a warm, enchanting atmosphere. I even spotted Santa Claus at the street food stands, adding a delightful touch to the festive spirit.
Throughout my journey, I used the M.Zuiko 14-42mm kit lens for my photos. While I had other lenses with me, I found that this lens' zoom range and performance provided exactly what I needed to capture the scenes I encountered. It was versatile enough to handle everything from wide street shots to close-ups of the little details that caught my attention.
As I continued along Andrássy Avenue, I set my sights on Bellozzo restaurant at Oktogon. Since I’m a big fan of Italian cuisine, I knew it would be a safe bet for either pasta or pizza. On the way, I passed one of my favorite streets, Nagymező Street, where there’s a place close to my heart: the House of Hungarian Photographers, Mai Manó House. I’ve visited this spot multiple times, and among my favorite exhibitions are Zoltán Tombor’s Fényterápia / Light Therapy from 2021 and Wanda Martin’s SONGS OF INNOCENCE AND EXPERIENCE, a collage series she exhibited in 2023.




